Tuesday 23 April 2013

Day One :: Graduation.


The Prompt: your characters at their child's graduation.

--------------------------------------------------------

They’re wearing long robes in the school colors. My little Mels is at the end of the line. Her normally messy hair is immaculate and she’s beaming across the assembly room at Ace and I. She’s holding hands with the boy next to her and he’s whispering in her ear. I frown. My little girl isn’t supposed to be interested in boys yet. No dating until she’s twenty-five at least.

Ace and I are in the fourth row, just close enough to see everything unravel. Aislin had wanted the front row, but we showed up a little too late and ‘had to settle for the fourth.’ They had begun to call the names and hand out diplomas awhile ago and now it’s almost my Mels’ turn. She smiles at me as they call her name and she walks across the stage. She stumbles a bit with her short heels, but catches herself before she face plants on the stage.

I hear Aislin sniff from beside me and look down. She’s wiping her eyes and flashing Mels a weak thumbs up. I take her hand and squeeze it, leaning over to whisper, “You know, she’s only graduating kindergarten.”

She wipes at her eyes a little more and smiles, “I know, Alex. But she’s growing up so fast.”

No comments:

Post a Comment